To make a White Lady cocktail, you will need the following ingredients:
- 50ml gin
- 25ml Cointreau or triple sec
- 25ml fresh lemon juice
- 1 egg white (optional)
- Add the gin, Cointreau, lemon juice, and egg white (if using) to a shaker.
- Fill the shaker with ice and shake vigorously for 30 seconds.
- Strain the mixture into a chilled cocktail glass.
- Garnish with a lemon twist, if desired.
Enjoy your White Lady cocktail!
Note: If you prefer a frothy texture, you can add the egg white to the shaker. However, it is not necessary for the recipe and can be left out if desired.
History of White Lady
The White Lady cocktail is a classic gin cocktail that has been enjoyed for many years. It is believed to have originated in the early 20th century and was originally made with equal parts gin, Cointreau, and lemon juice.
The White Lady gets its name from the pale, white appearance of the drink, which is created by the clear color of the gin and the white color of the Cointreau. It is a refreshing and citrusy cocktail that is perfect for summertime sipping or as a pre-dinner drink.
Over the years, the White Lady has become a popular choice at bars and parties, and it has inspired a number of variations and variations, including the Silver Lady, the Blue Lady, and the Red Lady. Despite the many variations that have been created, the classic White Lady recipe remains a timeless classic.
Variations of White Lady
There are several variations of the classic White Lady cocktail that you can try:
- Silver Lady: This variation includes silver tequila in place of the gin.
- Blue Lady: This variation includes blue curaçao in place of the Cointreau.
- Red Lady: This variation includes grenadine in place of the Cointreau.
- Pink Lady: This variation includes cranberry juice in place of the Cointreau.
- White Russian: This variation includes Kahlua in place of the Cointreau and heavy cream in place of the egg white.
- White Gatsby: This variation includes whiskey in place of the gin and honey syrup in place of the Cointreau.
You can also try adding other ingredients, such as liqueurs or syrups, to the classic White Lady recipe to create your own unique variations. Experiment and have fun!
Best Gin to Use in a White Lady
The best gin to use in a White Lady cocktail is one that has a clean, crisp flavor with a balanced blend of juniper and other botanicals. Some good options might include:
- Bombay Sapphire: This gin has a crisp, juniper-forward flavor with hints of coriander, angelica, and other botanicals.
- Tanqueray No. Ten: This gin has a smooth, citrusy flavor with hints of juniper, coriander, and other botanicals.
- Beefeater 24: This gin has a complex, floral flavor with hints of juniper, tea, and other botanicals.
- Plymouth Gin: This gin has a smooth, floral flavor with hints of juniper, coriander, and angelica.
- Broker’s Gin: This gin has a crisp, juniper-forward flavor with hints of coriander, angelica, and other botanicals.
Any of these gins would work well in a White Lady cocktail and add depth and complexity to the drink.