The Blue Hawaiian is a tropical cocktail made with pineapple juice, blue curaçao, and rum. The blue curaçao gives the cocktail its characteristic blue colour and adds a sweet, orange flavour to the drink.
- 1 1/2 oz light rum
- 3/4 oz blue curaçao
- 1/2 oz lime juice
- 2 oz pineapple juice
- pineapple slice and cherry for garnish
- Fill a shaker with ice.
- Add the rum, blue curaçao, lime juice, and pineapple juice to the shaker.
- Shake well and strain into a glass filled with ice.
- Garnish with a pineapple slice and cherry.
- Enjoy your Blue Hawaiian cocktail.
Some variations of the Blue Hawaiian recipe include adding sweet and sour mix or grenadine syrup to the cocktail to add a bit more sweetness and to enhance the tropical flavours.
Blue Hawaiian History
The Blue Hawaiian cocktail is a tropical drink that is believed to have originated in the 1950s. It is a variation of the classic Piña Colada and Mai Tai cocktails, which were popular at the time. The blue curaçao, which gives the drink its characteristic blue color, was added to the traditional pineapple and rum recipe to create a new, visually striking cocktail.
The Blue Hawaiian quickly gained popularity in tropical vacation destinations such as Hawaii, and it remains a staple at tiki bars and tropical-themed restaurants to this day. It also became a popular drink to serve at parties and events, as well as to enjoy on a hot summer day.
It is unclear who created the drink or where it was first served. Some say it was invented by a bartender in Hawaii, while others claim it was first served at a hotel in California. However, it is widely recognised as a tropical drink that perfectly captures the spirit of the island lifestyle.
The Blue Hawaiian is a delicious and refreshing drink that is perfect for any occasion, whether you’re enjoying a day at the beach, having a backyard BBQ or just looking for a tropical escape.
Blue Hawaiian Variations
There are several variations of the Blue Hawaiian cocktail that you can try:
- Blue Hawaiian Martini – A variation of the classic Blue Hawaiian that is served in a martini glass. The ingredients are the same, but it is usually shaken and strained into a chilled martini glass instead of being served over ice.
- Blue Hawaiian Margarita – A combination of the Blue Hawaiian and a Margarita. This variation includes tequila in addition to the rum and blue curaçao, and is typically served in a salt-rimmed glass.
- Blue Hawaiian Daiquiri – A combination of the Blue Hawaiian and a Daiquiri, which is a classic rum-based cocktail. This variation includes lime juice in addition to the pineapple juice, and is typically served in a chilled glass.
- Blue Hawaiian Slushie – A frozen version of the Blue Hawaiian. This variation includes crushed ice in addition to the other ingredients, and is typically blended in a blender before being served.
- Blue Hawaiian Jello Shots – A fun and unique variation of the Blue Hawaiian. This version is made with blue curaçao and pineapple juice and set in a small cups with a shot of rum on top.
- Blue Hawaiian Smoothie – A non-alcoholic variation of the Blue Hawaiian, perfect for a hot summer day. This version is made with blue curaçao, pineapple juice, and ice, blended together in a blender and served in a glass.
Best Rum for a Blue Hawaiian
When making a Blue Hawaiian cocktail, it’s best to use a light rum that is not too overpowering in flavour. Here are some popular light rum brands that are well-suited for the Blue Hawaiian:
- Bacardi Superior – A smooth, light rum that is distilled in Puerto Rico and aged for at least one year. It is known for its clean, crisp taste and is a popular choice for mixed drinks.
- Captain Morgan White Rum – A light rum that is made in Jamaica and is known for its smooth, light flavour and subtle vanilla notes.
- Cruzan Light Rum – A light rum that is made in the US Virgin Islands and is known for its smooth, light flavour and subtle vanilla and coconut notes.
- Flor de Caña – A light rum that is made in Nicaragua and is aged for 4 years. It has a light, floral flavour and is known for its smooth finish.
- Mount Gay Silver – A light rum that is made in Barbados and is known for its light, floral flavour and smooth finish.
It’s worth noting that you can experiment with different rums to find the one that you like the most, but these are some of the most popular and well-known brands that are widely available.