A whisky highball is a mixed drink made with whisky and a carbonated beverage, typically soda water or ginger ale. To make a whisky highball, you’ll need:
- 50ml of whisky
- 100-200ml of soda water or ginger ale
- a highball glass
To mix the drink, fill a highball glass with ice, add the whisky, and top it off with the soda water or ginger ale. Stir gently to combine the ingredients. You can also garnish the drink with a slice of lemon or lime, if desired. Some variations on the whisky highball include using a different type of whisky, or adding a splash of lime juice or bitters to the drink.
Whisky Highball History
The whisky highball is a popular mixed drink that has a long and storied history. The highball as a drink category, which refers to a mixed drink made with a spirit and a carbonated beverage, dates back to the late 19th century. The exact origins of the whisky highball are not well documented, but it is likely that the drink evolved from other mixed drinks that were popular at the time, such as the whisky and soda.
The whisky highball gained widespread popularity in the United States during the early 20th century, particularly during the Prohibition era, when it was used as a way to stretch out the supply of illegal whisky. It was also popular in Japan, where it was known as the “Japanese whisky highball.” The whisky highball remains a popular mixed drink to this day, and it is enjoyed by people all over the world.
Whisky Highball Variations
There are many variations on the classic whisky highball that you can try. Here are a few ideas:
- Bourbon highball: Use bourbon whisky in place of the traditional whisky.
- Scotch highball: Use scotch whisky in place of the traditional whisky.
- Spiced whisky highball: Add a dash of bitters or a splash of spice-infused syrup to the drink.
- Fruit-flavored whisky highball: Add a splash of fruit juice or a piece of fresh fruit to the drink.
- Japanese whisky highball: Use Japanese whisky in place of the traditional whisky, and top the drink off with a splash of soda water.
- Ginger whisky highball: Use ginger ale in place of the soda water, and add a slice of fresh ginger to the drink.
- Whiskey and water: Use club soda or still water in place of the soda water for a more subtle, less sweet version of the whisky highball.
Feel free to experiment with different combinations and find the variations that you like best!
Best whisky for a whisky highball
There are many different whisky brands that are well-suited for use in a whisky highball. Some popular options include:
- Johnnie Walker: This popular scotch whisky brand offers a range of expressions that can be used in a highball, including the classic Red Label, as well as the Black Label, Green Label, and Blue Label.
- Jameson: This Irish whisky is known for its smooth, easy-drinking character, making it a good choice for a whisky highball.
- Jack Daniel’s: This American whisky is made from a blend of different grains, and it has a distinctive flavor that works well in a highball.
- Maker’s Mark: This bourbon whisky is known for its rich, smooth flavor, which makes it a good choice for a bourbon highball.
- Suntory: This Japanese whisky brand is known for its high-quality expressions, which are perfect for a Japanese whisky highball.
Ultimately, the best whisky for a whisky highball is a matter of personal preference. You may want to try a few different brands to see which one you like best.