The Southside cocktail is a classic mixed drink made with gin, lemon juice, and mint. It is a refreshing and invigorating cocktail that is perfect for sipping on a hot summer day. Here is a recipe you can use to make a Southside cocktail at home:
- 50ml gin
- 25ml lemon juice
- 25ml simple syrup
- 4-6 mint leaves
- Fill a cocktail shaker with ice.
- Add the gin, lemon juice, simple syrup, and mint leaves to the shaker.
- Shake well to combine and chill the ingredients.
- Strain the cocktail into a chilled glass.
- Garnish with a sprig of mint and a slice of lemon, if desired.
You can adjust the ingredients to suit your taste. For example, you can use more or less simple syrup to make the cocktail sweeter or less sweet. You can also try using a different type of gin, such as a flavoured gin or a more juniper-forward gin, to give the Southside a different twist.
The origins of the Southside cocktail are somewhat unclear, but it is believed to have originated in the Prohibition era of the 1920s in the United States. It is named after the South Side of Chicago, a neighborhood known for its thriving speakeasy culture during Prohibition.
The Southside is a variation on the classic gin sour cocktail, which is made with gin, lemon juice, and a sweetener such as simple syrup or grenadine. The Southside adds mint leaves to the mix, which gives the cocktail a refreshing and invigorating flavour.
Over the years, the Southside has become a popular cocktail at bars and restaurants around the world. It is a classic gin cocktail that is simple to make and easy to enjoy. Whether you are a fan of gin or just looking for a refreshing and delicious mixed drink, the Southside is a great choice.
There are many variations on the classic Southside cocktail that you can try. Here are a few ideas:
- Southside Fizz: Add a splash of club soda or tonic water to the Southside cocktail to give it a fizzier finish.
- Cucumber Southside: Add a few slices of cucumber to the cocktail shaker when mixing the Southside. This gives the cocktail a refreshing cucumber flavour.
- Strawberry Southside: Muddle a few fresh strawberries in the cocktail shaker before adding the other ingredients. This gives the Southside a fruity twist.
- Spicy Southside: Add a pinch of chili flakes or a couple of slices of jalapeño pepper to the cocktail shaker to give the Southside a spicy kick.
- Basil Southside: Substitute basil leaves for the mint leaves in the Southside recipe. This gives the cocktail a unique, herbal flavour.
You can also try using different types of gin or adjusting the amounts of the other ingredients to suit your taste. Experiment with different variations to find the perfect Southside for you.
Best Gins for a Southside
There are many great gin brands that you can use to make a Southside cocktail. Some popular options include:
- Bombay Sapphire: This gin is made with a blend of 10 different botanicals, including juniper, almonds, and lemon peel. It has a smooth, balanced flavor that works well in a Southside.
- Tanqueray: This classic gin is made with a blend of four botanicals: juniper, coriander, angelica, and licorice. It has a bold, juniper-forward flavor that works well in a Southside.
- Beefeater: This London Dry gin is made with nine botanicals, including juniper, angelica, and licorice. It has a dry, classic gin flavor that works well in a Southside.
- Hendricks: This gin is made with a blend of 11 botanicals, including cucumber and rose petals. It has a unique, floral flavor that works well in a Southside.
- The Botanist: This gin is made with a blend of 22 different botanicals, including a variety of herbs and flowers. It has a complex, aromatic flavor that works well in a Southside.
Ultimately, the best gin for a Southside will depend on your personal taste. You may want to try a few different gins to find the one that you like best in this cocktail.