A Screwdriver is a simple cocktail made with vodka and orange juice. Here is the recipe:
- 2 ounces vodka
- 4-6 ounces orange juice
- Fill a highball glass with ice.
- Pour in the vodka.
- Top with orange juice.
- Stir gently to combine.
- Garnish with an orange slice or a maraschino cherry, if desired.
You can adjust the proportions of vodka and orange juice to taste. Some people prefer a stronger drink with more vodka, while others prefer a milder drink with more orange juice. You can also try adding a splash of grenadine or a sprinkle of cinnamon for a little extra flavour.
The Screwdriver cocktail is a simple and refreshing drink that has been enjoyed for decades. It is made with vodka and orange juice, and is believed to have originated in the 1950s.
There are several theories about the origins of the Screwdriver cocktail. One theory is that it was invented by American oil workers in the Middle East who would mix vodka with orange juice as a way to get their daily dose of vitamin C. Another theory is that it was named after the tool that the workers used to stir the drink, as they were not allowed to have knives or other sharp objects on site.
Regardless of its origins, the Screwdriver has become a popular cocktail around the world and is enjoyed by many people. It is especially popular as a breakfast or brunch drink, as the orange juice adds a refreshing and citrusy flavour.
There are many variations of the Screwdriver cocktail that you can try. Here are a few ideas:
- Spicy Screwdriver: Add a pinch of cayenne pepper or a few drops of hot sauce to give your Screwdriver a little kick.
- Grapefruit Screwdriver: Substitute grapefruit juice for the orange juice to give your Screwdriver a more tart and citrusy flavour.
- Strawberry Screwdriver: Add a few fresh strawberries or a splash of strawberry liqueur to give your Screwdriver a fruity twist.
- Pineapple Screwdriver: Substitute pineapple juice for the orange juice to give your Screwdriver a tropical flavour.
- Mango Screwdriver: Add a few slices of fresh mango or a splash of mango juice to give your Screwdriver a sweet and exotic flavour.
- Blackberry Screwdriver: Add a few fresh blackberries or a splash of blackberry liqueur to give your Screwdriver a sweet and fruity flavour.
- Lemon Screwdriver: Substitute lemon juice for the orange juice to give your Screwdriver a tart and refreshing flavour.
You can also try adding other ingredients, such as grenadine, cranberry juice, or liqueurs, to give your Screwdriver a unique flavour. Experiment and have fun with it!
Best Vodkas for a Screwdriver
There are many brands of vodka that you can use to make a Screwdriver cocktail. Some popular options include:
- Absolut: A Swedish vodka that is known for its smooth and clean flavour.
- Grey Goose: A French vodka that is made from wheat and has a smooth and refined taste.
- Belvedere: A Polish vodka that is made from rye and has a smooth and creamy flavour.
- Ketel one: A Dutch vodka that is made from wheat and has a clean and crisp taste.
- Stolichnaya: A Russian vodka that is made from wheat and has a smooth and slightly sweet flavour.
- Smirnoff: A Russian vodka that is made from wheat and has a smooth and slightly sweet flavour.
These are just a few examples of the many brands of vodka that you can use to make a Screwdriver. Choose a vodka that you enjoy the taste of and that is within your budget.