To make a Rusty Nail cocktail, you will need the following ingredients:
- 50ml Scotch whisky
- 15ml Drambuie
- Orange peel (for garnish)
- Fill a mixing glass with ice.
- Add the Scotch whisky and Drambuie to the mixing glass.
- Stir the mixture until it is well-combined and chilled.
- Strain the mixture into a rocks glass filled with ice.
- Garnish with a twist of orange peel.
History of Rusty Nail
The Rusty Nail cocktail is a classic Scotch whisky cocktail that has been enjoyed for many years. The exact origins of the cocktail are not known, but it is thought to have originated in the United States in the mid-1900s.
The Rusty Nail gets its name from the combination of Scotch whisky and Drambuie, a liqueur made with Scotch whisky, honey, and herbs. The name “Rusty Nail” is thought to refer to the combination of the amber color of the Scotch whisky and the golden color of the Drambuie, which creates a “rusty” appearance in the glass.
Over the years, the Rusty Nail has become a popular choice for whisky lovers, and it is often enjoyed as a sipping cocktail or served as a pre-dinner drink. The combination of the smooth, rich flavors of the Scotch whisky and the sweet, herbal notes of the Drambuie make it a well-balanced and enjoyable drink.
Variations of Rusty Nail
There are a few variations of the Rusty Nail cocktail that you can try:
- Rob Roy: This variation replaces the Drambuie with sweet vermouth, creating a cocktail that is similar to a Manhattan.
- Bakers Nail: This variation includes a small amount of baker’s chocolate in addition to the Scotch whisky and Drambuie.
- Honey Nail: This variation includes a splash of honey syrup in addition to the Scotch whisky and Drambuie.
- Apple Nail: This variation includes a splash of apple juice or cider in addition to the Scotch whisky and Drambuie.
- Rusty Spike: This variation includes a splash of ginger ale or ginger beer in addition to the Scotch whisky and Drambuie.
You can also try adding other ingredients, such as liqueurs or syrups, to the classic Rusty Nail recipe to create your own unique variations. Experiment and have fun!
Best Scotches for Rusty Nail
The best Scotches to use in a Rusty Nail cocktail are those that have a rich, full-bodied flavor with hints of smoke and peat. Some good options might include:
- Laphroaig 10 Year Old: This Scotch whisky has a strong, peaty flavor with notes of seaweed, iodine, and smoke.
- Lagavulin 16 Year Old: This Scotch whisky has a deep, smoky flavor with hints of peat and spice.
- Ardbeg 10 Year Old: This Scotch whisky has a bold, peaty flavor with notes of smoke, seaweed, and a hint of sweetness.
- Glenmorangie Original: This Scotch whisky has a smooth, creamy flavor with hints of citrus and vanilla.
- Oban 14 Year Old: This Scotch whisky has a rich, full-bodied flavor with hints of smoke, fruit, and spice.
Any of these Scotches would work well in a Rusty Nail cocktail and add depth and complexity to the drink.