A lemon drop martini is a simple, sweet and tangy cocktail that is gradually becoming more and more popular over the years. It is made with vodka, lemon juice, and simple syrup. Here is a recipe for making a lemon drop martini:
- 50ml vodka
- 25ml lemon juice
- 25ml simple syrup
- Sugar or coarse salt, for rimming the glass (optional)
- Lemon wedge, for garnish (optional)
- Rim a martini glass by moistening the rim with a lemon wedge and dipping it into a plate of sugar or coarse salt.
- Fill a cocktail shaker with ice. Add the vodka, lemon juice, and simple syrup to the shaker.
- Shake the cocktail shaker vigorously for about 20 seconds to mix and chill the ingredients.
- Strain the cocktail into the rimmed martini glass.
- Garnish the glass with a lemon wedge, if desired.
- Serve the lemon drop martini immediately.
This recipe makes one lemon drop martini, but you can easily scale it up to make a larger batch. The sugar or coarse salt rim is optional, but it adds a nice touch of sweetness and texture to the drink. Enjoy!
History of the Lemon Drop Martini
The exact origins of the lemon drop martini are unclear, but it is thought to have emerged in the late 20th century as a variation on the classic vodka martini. The drink is characterised by its sweet and tangy flavour, which comes from the combination of vodka, lemon juice, and simple syrup.
The lemon drop martini gained popularity in the United States in the 1980s and 1990s, and it has since become a popular choice at bars and restaurants around the world. The drink is often served as a dessert cocktail or after-dinner drink due to its sweet flavor.
The lemon drop martini has also inspired many variations and variations, including the lime drop martini (made with lime juice instead of lemon juice), the orange drop martini (made with orange juice and orange liqueur), and the raspberry drop martini (made with raspberry liqueur and simple syrup). There are many creative ways to customise the basic lemon drop martini recipe to suit your personal taste.
Lemon Drop Martini Variations
There are many variations of the lemon drop martini that you can make by adding different flavors or ingredients to the basic recipe. Here are a few examples:
- Cucumber lemon drop martini: Add a few slices of cucumber to the shaker when mixing the cocktail for a refreshing, cooling twist on the classic lemon drop.
- Raspberry lemon drop martini: Add a splash of raspberry liqueur to the shaker when mixing the cocktail for a fruity twist on the classic lemon drop.
- Lavender lemon drop martini: Add a few sprigs of fresh lavender to the simple syrup while it is heating to infuse it with a floral flavor.
- Rosemary lemon drop martini: Add a sprig of fresh rosemary to the shaker when mixing the cocktail for a savory twist on the classic lemon drop.
- Ginger lemon drop martini: Add a slice of fresh ginger to the shaker when mixing the cocktail for a spicy twist on the classic lemon drop.
- Basil lemon drop martini: Add a few leaves of fresh basil to the shaker when mixing the cocktail for a refreshing, herby twist on the classic lemon drop.
These are just a few examples of the many variations of the lemon drop martini that you can make. You can get creative and experiment with different flavours to find the combinations that you like best.
Best Vodkas for Lemon Drop Martini
There are many brands of vodka that can be used to make a delicious lemon drop martini. Here are a few popular vodka brands that are well-suited for this cocktail:
- Grey Goose: This French vodka is made from wheat and has a smooth, clean flavour.
- Belvedere: This Polish vodka is made from rye and has a smooth, rich flavour.
- Ketel one: This Dutch vodka is made from wheat and has a smooth, crisp flavour.
- Stolichnaya: This Russian vodka is made from wheat and has a smooth, well-balanced flavour.
- Absolut: This Swedish vodka is made from winter wheat and has a smooth, clean flavour.
These are just a few examples of the many brands of vodka that can be used to make a lemon drop martini. Ultimately, the best vodka for this cocktail will depend on your personal preferences and budget. You may want to experiment with different brands to find the one that you like best.