A cocktail jigger is a small measuring device that is used to measure out precise amounts of ingredients for cocktails and other mixed drinks. It is shaped like an hourglass, with one large end and one small end, and is usually made of metal, plastic, or glass.
Jiggers are used to measure out the exact amounts of each ingredient that are needed to make a particular cocktail. This helps to ensure that the drink is well balanced and that the flavors are consistent from one drink to the next. Jiggers typically have markings on the sides that show the different measurement increments, such as 1/2 ounce, 1 ounce, 1 1/2 ounces, and so on. Measurements can also come in ML’s, such as 25ml, and 50ml, which is more common in European countries.
To use a jigger, you simply fill the large end with the desired ingredient and pour it into the cocktail shaker or mixing glass. The small end is typically used for measuring smaller quantities of ingredients, such as bitters or liqueurs.
Cocktail jiggers are an essential tool for any home bartender or professional mixologist, as they allow you to accurately measure out ingredients and create perfectly balanced cocktails every time.
Cocktails using a Cocktail Jigger
There are many cocktails that can be made using a cocktail jigger to measure out the ingredients. Here are a few examples:
- Margarita: A classic cocktail made with tequila, lime juice, and simple syrup.
- Old Fashioned: A classic whiskey cocktail made with bourbon or rye whiskey, bitters, and simple syrup.
- Manhattan: A classic cocktail made with whiskey, sweet vermouth, and bitters.
- Gin Fizz: A refreshing cocktail made with gin, lemon juice, and simple syrup.
- Whiskey Sour: A classic cocktail made with whiskey, lemon juice, and simple syrup.
- Martini: A classic cocktail made with gin or vodka and dry vermouth.
- Daiquiri: A classic cocktail made with white rum, lime juice, and simple syrup.
These are just a few examples of the many cocktails that can be made using a cocktail jigger to measure out the ingredients. Whether you prefer sweet, sour, or refreshing flavors, there is a cocktail that you can make using a jigger to help you achieve the perfect balance.